Harford County Car Accident Lawyers
The last thing you expect to have happen when you get into your vehicle is to be involved in a car accident. Due to factors like weather, poor road conditions, and human error, car accidents remain an unfortunate reality that affect thousands of motorists every day. While being involved in a wreck can be extremely stressful and overwhelming, knowing the right steps to take immediately following the accident can make the situation much less upsetting. Our Harford County car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton have recovered over $100 million in damages for our clients who have been injured in car accidents.
What to Do After an Accident
Once you have gotten over the initial shock of the accident and you have checked to see if there are any injuries, either to yourself or the other drivers involved, knowing what to do next will help avoid unnecessary stress. The following tips will help ensure that your legal rights are protected.
- Call 911: It is very important to report the accident as soon as possible, even if it is a minor fender bender. Remain at the scene until police arrive.
- Exchange Information: Provide and obtain insurance information, driver’s license numbers, and license plate numbers of all other motorists involved.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there were witnesses who saw the wreck, get their contact information and ask if they would be willing to provide a statement to police.
- Take Pictures: Be sure to take pictures of the damage to the vehicle, the location of the accident, property damage, and any skid marks and debris on the road.
- Seek Medical Attention: If you have been seriously injured, emergency medical technicians will examine your injuries and get you to the nearest hospital. Even if your injuries are minor and you do not feel any pain or discomfort, always have a medical professional examine you in case there are any underlying injuries.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Do this as soon as possible so that your agent can file an accident claim.
- Avoid Speaking to the Other Driver’s Insurance Company: If the other driver’s agent contacts you, do not speak to them. They may trick you into saying something that could jeopardize your settlement.
- Contact a Qualified Personal Injury Lawyer: Having a skilled attorney on your side will ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Car accidents are caused by a wide range of factors, including weather, mechanical defects, and irresponsible or reckless behavior of the driver. The following are examples of common causes of car accidents:
- Aggressive driving and road rage
- Auto defects
- Dangerous driving conditions
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Drunk driving
- Faulty equipment
- Negligent driving
- Poor weather conditions
- Vehicle rollovers
Car Accident Injuries
The severity of a person’s injuries will depend largely on the nature of the wreck. For example, injuries from a fender bender tend to be minor compared to the injuries caused by a vehicle rollover or a serious drunk driving accident. The following are some of the most common types of car accident injuries:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Paralysis and nerve damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Harford County Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Represent All Car Accident Victims
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, you are urged to contact the Harford County car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton at your earliest convenience. We will fight to recover the maximum financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. To schedule a free, confidential consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent car accident victims in Howard County, Maryland, which includes the cities of Bel Air, Columbia, Edgewood, Elkridge, Ellicott City, Fulton, Highland, Ilchester, Laurel, and North Laurel.