Car Accidents in Bel Air
Until human error no longer exists, car accidents will continue to occur on roads and highways across the country, and in Harford County. Whether it is a minor accident involving minimal property damage and no physical injuries, or a major collision involving life-threatening injuries or fatalities, knowing what to do after a wreck occurs can make the situation far less stressful and overwhelming to those involved.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can be caused by a wide range of factors, including:
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Negligent driving
- Aggressive driving and road rage
- Dangerous driving conditions
- Auto defects
- Faulty equipment
- Vehicle rollovers
- Inclement weather conditions
Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
As you might expect, the more serious the accident, the more severe the injuries are likely to be. However, even if the accident is a minor fender bender, car accident victims can suffer injuries like whiplash.
The following are examples of common car accident-related injuries:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Broken bones and fractures
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Paralysis and nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
Important Steps to Take Following an Accident
Whether you are involved in a minor fender bender or a serious, multi-vehicle collision, the following tips will ensure that when police and emergency medical technicians arrive at the scene, your legal rights are protected as you move forward through the claims process:
- Report the Accident: If you are able to move freely, call 911 immediately, even if the accident is minor. Do not leave before police arrive at the scene of the accident.
- Get Medical Attention: If you have been injured in the wreck, do not try to move, unless not moving puts you in more danger. Wait for medical responders to arrive, so that they can examine your injuries and determine whether you need further treatment.
- Exchange Information: After you have made sure no one else is hurt, ask the other driver for their contact information, driver’s license number, license plate number, and insurance information. Avoid apologizing to the other driver, as this can be interpreted as admitting fault.
- Take Pictures: Collect evidence by taking pictures of the accident site, damage to the vehicles involved, skid marks on the road, injuries to those involved, and debris on the road.
- Contact your insurance company: Call your insurance agency as soon as possible, to notify them that you have been in a car accident. Once they have the information they need, they can file an accident claim.
- Do Not Talk to Other Driver’s Insurance Agent: If the agent representing the other driver(s) tries to contact you, do not speak to him or her, as it may have a negative impact on your claim.
- Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer: By securing skilled legal representation, you will ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive fair compensation.
Bel Air Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Protect the Rights of All Car Accident Victims
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you are urged to contact the reputable Bel Air car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton as soon as possible. We will work tirelessly to secure the maximum financial compensation you deserve and ensure that your legal rights are protected at all times. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are located in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent injured victims in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Prince George’s County, Queen Anne’s County, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.