Car Accidents in Howard County
Although car accidents commonly occur, that does not diminish the fact that they often have devastating outcomes for victims, such as serious injuries and even fatalities. A car wreck could be a minor inconvenience or a catastrophic event that leads to life-altering changes in a victim’s daily life. All the caution a driver uses when operating a vehicle may not be enough to ward off the possibility that other motorists may be engaging in a host of dangerous driving practices like texting while driving, intoxicated driving, and distracted driving, which may result in a collision.
After a Car Accident Occurs
The most important thing to do after a car accident occurs is to remain calm. To guard your health and protect your rights, follow these recommendations about what to do when you are involved in an accident. If you get into a car accident, you must:
- Contact Authorities Even if the accident appears minor, contact 911 immediately to report the crash. Stay at the crash site until police or first responders arrive.
- Seek Medical Attention Do not play the hero — allow emergency personnel to evaluate your injuries and determine if you require hospitalization or can be treated on the scene. A seemingly harmless injury without treatment could turn into a severe one .
- Swap Information Swap personal information with other parties involved in the accident including name, phone numbers, license plate information, driver’s’ license numbers, and insurance information.
- Get Witnesses’ Input Talk to any witnesses present at the accident for their accounts of what happened. Make sure you exchange contact information with them, too.
- Collect Evidence While you are at the scene of the accident, snap photos of the involved vehicles, traffic lights/signs, debris and/or skid marks on the road. This will expedite the claim filing process.
- Call Your Insurance Company Remember to contact your insurance company as soon as you can, so they can file an accident claim.
- Avoid Communication with Other Drivers’ Insurance Companies You may jeopardize your settlement if you communicate with the other drivers’ insurance companies, so avoid doing so. Let your insurance company and attorney contact them if necessary.
- Find a Skilled Car Accident Lawyer Car accidents can be tricky whereas liability is concerned, so find a car accident lawyer who can handle any issues that arise and ensure you receive proper compensation.
Car Accident Injuries
There are a host of injuries a person can suffer from after a wreck that range from minor to severe. Victims can incur a few scrapes and bruises, or catastrophic injuries such as spinal injuries and even fatalities. Listed are the common injuries associated with car accidents:
- Disfigurement, burns and scarring
- Fractures and broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Neurological damage and paralysis
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wounds and lacerations
Causes of Car Accidents
Following are some examples of the most common causes of a car accident:
- Aggressive Driving and Road Rage
- Auto Defects or Faulty Parts
- Dangerous Driving Conditions
- Distracted Driving
- Driving While Intoxicated
- Drowsy Driving
- Poor Weather Conditions
- Reckless Driving
- Vehicle Rollovers
Howard County Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Protect the Rights of Victims
If you or your loved ones sustained serious injuries in a car accident, let the Howard County car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton assist you in filing a claim. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are located in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent car accident victims in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.