Baltimore Bike Accident Lawyer
Bike Accidents Can Result in Severe Injuries
Our lawyers will fight for your right to compensation if you were injured while riding a bicycle
Biking is a great form of exercise and a pleasurable way to commute to work and run errands. Although bicycling is also relatively safe, a negligent driver can put your life at risk.
If you have been struck by a car, truck or bus while riding your bike, you have options to recover damages. You may be covered by your auto insurance policy. Or, you may be able to file a lawsuit against a liable party for causing your accident. If your crash involved a commercial vehicle, you may have a cause of action against the company that owned and operated the auto. You may also have a claim against the city under certain circumstances. Established more than 25 years ago, LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A. advocates for your right to recover maximum damages for personal injuries sustained in a bicycle accident.
Avoiding bicycle crashes on Maryland’s roadways
Just as motorists must obey Maryland traffic laws, so must bicyclists. These statutes are designed to promote a safe riding experience:
- If a bike lane is available, you must use it instead of the roadway, except under specific circumstances, such as passing, turning or avoiding a road hazard.
- When riding in the road, stay as much to the right as possible unless making a left turn, passing a slowed vehicle or avoiding a hazardous road condition or pedestrian.
- Bicycle brakes must allow you to stop from 10 mph within 15 feet.
- Your bicycle must be equipped with a white-beam headlamp and a red rear reflector or light that enhances visibility at night and during inclement weather conditions.
- Children under 16 years old must wear a helmet while riding.
Following these rules and all Maryland bicycle statutes helps you avoid an accident and can also prove that you did not contribute to an auto accident in a civil case.
Taking action after you have been hit by a car
No matter how careful you are, you are still at risk of being hit by a negligent driver. Take the steps you would if you were in any other type of traffic crash, including:
- Obtain the medical care you need.
- Contact the police and get a copy of the officer’s report of the incident.
- Take photos of the accident scene, if you can.
- Collect the driver’s auto insurance information.
- Consult with a qualified personal injury lawyer.
Let our experienced Baltimore Bike Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Help in the Aftermath of Your Bicycle Wreck
Recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries by calling LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A. at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact our firm online to schedule your free initial consultation with one of our experienced Baltimore bike accident lawyers. We are available by phone 24 hours a day to take calls from accident victims, and we handle personal injury claims throughout Maryland on a contingency basis. Your satisfaction is our number one priority.