Baltimore Criminal Defense Lawyers
Fraud Is a Serious White Collar Crime in Maryland
If you suspect that you are the subject of a criminal fraud investigation, you need sophisticated counsel to represent you. The sentence for a fraud conviction is rarely a slap on the wrist. In addition to incarceration, you face victim restitution and fines that can cost you substantial sums of money.
LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton was founded in 1980 by Maryland natives who are devoted to our Baltimore community. Our lawyers have the legal and financial knowledge to handle the most challenging fraud cases for clients throughout the state. We are ready to be by your side during the investigation, arrest and trial phases.
What is Fraud?
Fraud is a type of white collar crime. The alleged perpetrator often seeks financial gain, but may employ a scheme for other reasons, such as to obtain permanent resident immigration status or to acquire power over the victim. For the act to be considered fraud, the prosecution must prove that:
- You made an untruthful statement or omitted relevant information.
- The false information was material, which means that it was significant to the decision the other person made.
- You knowingly and purposefully misrepresented the fact or made or omitted the statement with negligent disregard for its truthfulness.
- The person or corporation was induced to act based on your statement or omission.
- You intended for the other party to rely on the information.
- The other party suffered damages because of your misrepresentation.
Common Types of Criminal Fraud
Fraud can occur under a wide range of circumstances, each with its own set of criteria for proving misrepresentation and damages:
Criminal Versus Civil Matters
Often, fraud accusations involve criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits. Prosecutors are held to the burden of proving that you committed fraud beyond a reasonable doubt, whereas the plaintiffs in a civil claim must demonstrate only by a preponderance of the evidence that you are liable for fraudulent conduct. Our trial lawyers have substantial experience in criminal defense and civil litigation and can steer you toward the best possible outcomes in both matters.
Baltimore Criminal Defense Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Represent Defendants in Fraud Crimes
If you were arrested or are being investigated for fraud, call LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact our firm online for your free initial consultation with our experienced Baltimore criminal lawyers. We represent defendants in courtrooms throughout Maryland.