Car Accidents in Mount Rainier
No one ever expects to be involved in a car accident when they leave their house to go to work, school, or to meet friends for dinner. Yet thousands of car accidents occur every day in this country, causing a range of injuries and tragic fatalities. Many of these accidents can be prevented if motorists obey the rules of the road and make safety a priority. If you are involved in a car accident, a skilled and experienced car accident lawyer can protect your rights and ensure that you receive the financial compensation you deserve.
Most Common Types of Car Accidents
Whether you have been involved in a car accident or you have witnessed one in your travels, the following are types of car accidents that occur most often in this country:
- Rear-End Collisions: This is the most common type of car accidents, which occurs when the front of one vehicle hits the rear of another. This usually occurs when a driver is tailgating another car or is driving while distracted.
- Single-Vehicle Accidents: These accidents only involve one driver, who loses control of their vehicle, either due to weather conditions, poor road conditions, or debris on the road.
- Side-Impact Collision: These accidents usually occur at intersections when a driver runs a red light or fails to yield to oncoming traffic. Also known as a broadside or T-bone collision, roughly 25 percent of all passenger vehicle fatalities are caused by side-impact collisions.
- Vehicle Rollovers: When a vehicle rolls over, it can cause very serious injuries to the passengers involved. Due to their high center of gravity, SUVs are more susceptible to rollover accidents, but other types of vehicles can also rollover if the road conditions are poor, or if the vehicle approaches a turn going too fast. Nearly 85 percent of rollover fatalities involve single vehicles.
- Head-On Collisions: These are by far the most devastating accidents, often resulting in severe head and neck injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, and fatalities. They often occur at high speeds, which contribute to the catastrophic nature of the collision.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Some car accident victims walk away from a collision without a scratch, while others are not so lucky. The severity of the injuries depends on the nature of the accident.
The following are some of the most common car accident injuries:
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Head and brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal injuries
What to Do After a Car Accident
Knowing the right steps to take immediately following a car accident can help everyone involved. Try to remain calm and keep the following tips in mind:
- Move out of harm’s way. It is very important that you move your vehicle, if possible, so that it is out of the way of oncoming traffic. If there is a shoulder, move your car to the side of the road. If there is no shoulder, move your vehicle to the closest parking lot or another safe location. If the car cannot be moved, turn on the hazards and move yourself to a safe area.
- Check for injuries. Check yourself and the other motorists involved for injuries. If you are physically able to move, get out of the car and call 911, even if the injuries are minor.
- Report the accident. All traffic accidents must be reported to the police, so that a report can be filed. Your insurance company will require a copy of the report to file a claim.
- Share information. Exchange information with the other motorists involved, including insurance information, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and contact information.
- Take pictures. This will provide valuable evidence and can help prove who was at fault and what caused the accident. Take pictures of the accident location, the vehicles involved, injuries, skid marks, and other property damage.
- File a claim. Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible in order to begin the claims process.
Mount Rainier Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Advocate for Victims of All Types of Car Accidents
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, you are urged to contact the Mount Rainier car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton at your earliest convenience. We will work closely with you to determine who was at fault for the accident and seek the maximum financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. We will not stop fighting for you until we have your complete satisfaction. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are located in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent injured victims in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Prince George’s County, Queen Anne’s County, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.