Columbia Car Accident Lawyers
Columbia is one of the primary communities in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area and consists of 10 different villages, built to develop a higher living standard. There are several neighborhoods in each village, each with shopping complexes, recreational facilities, community centers, residences, and paths for biking and walking.
The second most populated community after Baltimore, Columbia is busy with major highways, including U.S. Route 29 and Interstate 95, that allow drivers access to nearby Annapolis, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. It comes as no surprise that there are many locations where a variety of car accidents can occur in Columbia.
Our experienced legal team has a history of success winning favorable settlements and verdicts for our injured clients. We prioritize personal attention for each case, and provide top quality representation in a range of practice areas, including:
- Bike Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Criminal Defense
- DUI-related offenses
- Medical Malpractice
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Social Security Disability
- Truck Accidents
- Workers’ Compensation
Are Car Accidents Common in Columbia?
Similar to other metropolitan areas that offer small-town amenities, car accidents happen in Columbia on a regular basis. Whether it be a minor fender bender or a multi-vehicle pileup, a car accident can result in painful injuries, both physical and emotional, and significant property damage. If you have been in a serious car accident, a Columbia car accident lawyer can handle all of the complicated details and ensure your case goes smoothly, while protecting your best interests.
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents?
There are many causes of car accidents in Maryland and throughout the country, including:
- Aggressive driving: Aggressive and reckless driving has become a serious problem across the United States. Many fatal car crashes are the result of aggressive driving, which some also call “road rage.”
- Speeding: Speeding is statistically the top reason for car accidents that result in severe and fatal injuries. Drivers who exceed the speed limit are more likely to have difficulty maneuvering and stopping their vehicles, thus causing the most forceful and dangerous impacts.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving has been on the rise over the last few years, largely due to developments in technology and electronics. Dangerous distractions can be anything from checking a smartphone app to turning around to talk with a friend in the backseat. When drivers take their eyes and focus off the road, it can lead to serious car crashes and injuries.
- Driving Under the Influence: An unfortunate reality is that over 10,000 people die in alcohol-related accidents each year in the United States, with legal and illegal drugs being a factor in many of these car crashes as well. Another sad truth is that a high percentage of fatal accidents caused by impaired driving involve teens and young drivers.
- Drowsy driving: Drowsy driving is more common than many realize, especially with drivers in the commercial trucking industry. Truck drivers regularly feel the pressure to meet deadlines when on the road, which often results in long hours behind the wheel with little rest. People who are professional drivers by are more likely to drive while fatigued, or use drugs in an effort to maintain their lifestyles.
What Are Common Car Accident Injuries?
Injuries of any kind should be treated by a medical professional as soon as possible after a car accident. This is important not only for health and safety reasons, but also to preserve documentation for possible future proceedings.
There are a variety of types of injuries that can be suffered in a car accident, including:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is one of the common car accident injuries, and can be sustained regardless of a car’s speed at the time of impact. Symptoms of whiplash include pain and tenderness in the neck and shoulders, headaches, and reduced range of movement, which can cause difficulty working, sleeping, and keeping up with daily routine.
- Fractures and broken bones: Fractures and breaks in collarbones, bones in the arm, wrist, leg, ankle, ribs, and even the pelvis are common injuries in car accidents. Some of these injuries require surgery and extensive physical therapy, which can be costly.
- Head trauma: Injuries to the head can be closed or open, but both are serious and require immediate medical attention. Head trauma may not seem significant at first, but left unchecked it can lead to permanent damage and chronic issues.
- Spinal cord injury: Injuries due to spinal cord damage can range from numbness and reduced motor control to partial or total paralysis. Not only can spinal cord injuries be life-altering, but they often involve extensive treatment and ongoing medical expenses.
How Much is My Columbia Car Accident Claim Worth?
Settlement awards can widely vary from case to case in Columbia and around Maryland, with several factors taken into consideration. The recovery amount a claimant may receive depends on the nature and extent of their injuries, as well as the specific circumstances and details of their car accident case.
A knowledgeable car accident lawyer will review and analyze the following factors when determining the amount of damages and compensation you may receive after a car accident:
- Severity of physical injuries
- Amount of property damage
- Available insurance coverage
- Type of accident, including truck, bike, or pedestrian
- Identity of liable individuals and entities
- Degree of emotional trauma and loss
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Columbia?
Unsuspecting drivers can find themselves involved in a car accident at any time for a variety of reasons, many of which are out of their control. It is important to know what to do to protect yourself after being involved in a car accident, and the proper way to proceed.
If you are involved in a Columbia car accident, it is wise to take the following steps:
- Move to a safe location: If you are able to drive your vehicle to the side of the road after the accident, it is important to do so in order to avoid an additional dangerous situation on the road, such as being struck by another car in oncoming traffic. If driving your car is not an option, then you should focus on getting yourself to a safe location off the road.
- Call the police: It is crucial to call the police or 911 regardless of the circumstances around the car accident or degree of injuries. It is in your best interests to have the police come to the scene of the car accident so that they can file an official report. Getting all possible documentation and assistance from law enforcement is helpful for future insurance claims and potential lawsuits.
- Make an accurate report: It is important to tell investigating officers the details of the car accident as clearly as possible so that an accurate report is made. However, you should never guess if you are not sure how to answer certain questions, particularly those to do with whether or not you are physically injured. In addition, do your best to confirm that any statements given by other parties involved and eyewitnesses to the accident are accurate.
- Take pictures: If possible, take photos after being involved in a car accident. Photos of your physical injuries, damage to the cars involved at the scene, road conditions and markings, signage, and weather conditions at the time of the accident can be helpful to have as evidence for future proceedings.
- Seek medical attention: Getting medical treatment as soon as possible after a car accident is crucial, especially because some of the most serious injuries are not immediately apparent. It will also help document your physical injuries and the medical treatment you received following the car accident.
- Exchange information: Make sure to exchange information with other parties involved in the accident, especially if the police are not at the scene to take a report. Getting the names, phone numbers, and insurance information of everyone involved in the accident, as well as any eyewitnesses at the scene, will help expedite the process afterwards. If you are unable to exchange information immediately after the accident, your car accident lawyer can help obtain it for you, along with all other discovery.
- Notify your insurance company: Make sure to report the car accident to your insurance company as soon as you are able to afterwards. A knowledgeable car accident lawyer can help you understand all possible insurance coverage available to cover the injuries and damages you sustained as a result of the accident.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer: Contacting an experienced attorney is one of the most important steps to take after being involved in a car accident. Your car accident lawyer will file claims against all liable individuals and entities to ensure maximum recovery, and ensure that your case goes smoothly.
What Are the Most Dangerous Roads in Columbia?
Although Maryland ranks low on the list of states with the deadliest roads, it sees many serious and fatal car crashes every year. Some roadways are more dangerous than others, including those that run through Columbia.
The following are locations where car accidents are known to occur in Columbia:
- Route 29
- Route 175
- Broken Land Parkway
- Snowden River Parkway
What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Do?
A knowledgeable car accident lawyer will be able to walk you through your legal options in the aftermath of your car accident, and help you decide how best to proceed. Your lawyer will thoroughly investigate the accident, identify who is liable for the car accident, consult with experts, negotiate claims that are able to be settled favorability, or take your case to court. Our job is to protect your best interests, determine the best strategy for your case, ensure all details are handled properly, and fight to get you full and fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
Although some car accident cases are fairly straightforward, others involve more complex insurance and liability issues. A negligent driver is often not the only party who can be held accountable for a car accident and subsequent injuries. Entities responsible for safely maintaining road conditions may also be liable for injuries and damages sustained by innocent parties in a car accident. Commercial trucking companies are responsible for some of the most catastrophic crashes and injuries, and can be held liable.
Liability can include the manufacturers of the vehicles involved in the accident, as well as mechanics and auto shops who may have used faulty parts, or failed to properly service the vehicle. A Columbia car accident lawyer will identify all negligent parties in your legal matter, file the necessary claims in a timely matter, and make sure you are rightfully compensated for the damages you incurred.
How Can a Columbia Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Our dedicated team of attorneys understand that being involved in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, and makes it a priority to obtain just compensation for the injuries and losses our clients suffered as the result of someone else’s negligence. We know the pain and expense individuals and families endure after being involved in an accident, and provide our injured clients with the dedicated representation they need and deserve.
It is important that anyone who has been injured in a car accident seek the skilled representation of car accident lawyer to help navigate what is often a complex legal process. Car accident lawyers are experienced in going up against insurance companies and opposing legal counsel, with a full understanding of the important areas of law so that your rights are fully protected. We make sure that claims are filed in a timely manner against all liable individuals and entities to ensure the maximum financial award with as little stress as possible on you and your loved ones.
A Columbia car accident lawyer will advocate on your behalf to obtain just compensation, including:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs
- Physical pain and emotional trauma
- Punitive damages
In addition, our compassionate car accident lawyers can help family members of those who suffered fatal injuries in a car accident. We can file a wrongful death lawsuit in the place of what would have been a personal injury claim, so that the decedent’s loved ones are able to secure the compensation they need for their expenses, pain, and losses.
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
If you were injured in a car accident, you will need a car accident lawyer. An experienced car accident lawyer understands insurance policies and coverage, knows the proper procedures and deadlines for filing all claims and lawsuits, and has the skills to negotiate on your behalf to ensure a favorable outcome.
How Soon After My Car Accident Should I Hire a Lawyer?
Maryland law provides a one-year statute of limitations from the date of the accident as a strict deadline in which a claim must be filed, so it is important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you have a skilled car accident lawyer by your side, the more likely you will secure the best possible outcome for your case.
What Types of Compensation Are Available After a Car Accident?
Maryland uses different rules from most states when determine how injured parties can recover compensation and damages. Keep in mind that a plaintiff must prove that they did not cause the accident in any capacity. An injured party with a valid car accident claim may be able to recover compensation for:
Damages and compensation that may be recovered in Columbia car accident case include:
- Current and future lost wages
- Medical bills and ongoing care costs
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of life’s enjoyment
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death
Columbia Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Protect the Rights of Our Injured Clients
If you have been seriously injured in an accident, one of our Columbia car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton can help you recover the compensation you need and deserve. Our legal team is dedicated to protecting your rights and giving you peace of mind. Call our office today at 800-547-4LAW (4579) or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
We have offices in Owings Mills, Baltimore, Glen Burnie, and Prince George’s County, allowing us to represent clients in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Prince George’s County, Queen Anne’s County, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.