The Other Driver Does Not Want to Involve the Police After Accident – What Can I Do?

After a car accident, there is a legal requirement for both drivers to exchange license, contact, and insurance information. At that point, one or both drivers will likely call the police. The other driver may ask you not to call the police because they fear certain consequences. This should not be a consideration for you.

You do not have to get their permission to contact law enforcement for them to come to the scene. If the other driver asks you to reach a private agreement with them so you do not call the police, you should politely decline it. There may be a reason why they do not want a police officer there, but it should not be your worry. Instead, you create more worries for yourself if you do not involve the police.

You Need the Police to Help Document the Crash

You have the right to call the police at the accident scene. The other driver cannot drive off or leave the accident scene without you getting their driver’s license and insurance information. If they do, they can be charged with a hit-and-run. Even if the other driver has left the scene, you should remain there until the police arrive so you can give your account of what happened.

The police’s involvement is partially to protect you. It is crucial to have a record created by a law enforcement officer, even if they do not determine the exact cause of the crash. Their observations can be helpful for insurance companies when they are determining the cause of the accident. A police officer has natural credibility that can add to what may be your word standing alone.

A Police Report Is a Must to File an Insurance Claim

One of the reasons why the other driver may not want to involve the police is that they do not have car insurance. They are afraid that they will be cited for driving without insurance. In that case, your insurance company would need to cover your damages. To do that, you will need a police report that states you were the victim of a hit-and-run accident or one where the other driver did not have insurance.

You may lose the ability to involve the insurance company entirely if you try to handle the accident privately. Documentation is likely a prerequisite for financial compensation, beginning with calling the police.

The bottom line is that you always need a police report for your car accident. Your insurance company is going to want to see it. You should not reach your agreement with the other driver. First, they may not always keep their word. By that point, you can no longer call the police to write an accident report. Second, your injuries could be worse than you thought at the time of the accident. Then, you would not have the money for the medical care needed to treat a delayed onset injury like whiplash.

A Baltimore Car Accident Lawyer at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Can Help You After a Collision

If you have been injured in a car accident, a Baltimore car accident lawyer at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton could make a difference in your legal case. Call us at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.

We have offices in Baltimore, Glen Burnie, Lanham, and Owings Mills, allowing us to represent clients in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Prince George’s County, Queen Anne’s County, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.