Baltimore Surgical Error Lawyers
Surgical Errors Can Cause Nerve Damage
Surgery is always traumatic to the human body, but in most cases, competent doctors minimize adverse effects while achieving the benefits you expected from the procedure in the first place. If you suffer unexpected nerve damage, your doctors and hospital should be held accountable. LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A. was founded in 1987 by local Baltimore lawyers. For more than three decades, our legal team has helped injured patients recover from surgical errors caused by negligent doctors and hospitals.
Nerve Damage During Routine Procedures
Any time you undergo a medical procedure, you risk complications. Even relatively minor operations can result in nerve damage. Minimal nerve damage usually heals over time. However, severe injuries may be permanent, including those caused by medical malpractice involving:
- Brachial and Erb’s palsy birth injuries — The brachial plexus bundle of nerves transmits signals from the spine to the shoulders, arms and hands. A long and difficult labor can stretch and tear the baby’s nerves. The disabling symptoms of brachial and Erb’s palsy, including paralysis, numbness, pain and weakness, might have been avoided had your midwife or MD accurately assessed birth injury risk factors.
- Maternal nerve damage during vaginal birth — A woman risks serious nerve damage during vaginal delivery under certain circumstances, such as the mother’s small stature and the baby’s larger-than-average size. Your obstetrician may be held liable for failing to recommend a cesarean section if it would have been the appropriate delivery method.
- Meningitis infection from contaminated pharmaceutical injection — Meningitis is inflammation of the membrane that surrounds your spinal cord and brain. Pharmaceuticals contaminated with fungi or bacteria can result in meningitis if injected near the spinal column. This serious infection can result in sepsis, a life-threatening systemic inflammation of the entire body.
- Mistakes made during spinal stenosis and herniated disk repair — Back surgery is intricate and complex, with potentially disabling consequences if something goes wrong. A mistake during a spinal fusion, diskectomy, laminectomy or vertebroplasty may result in paralysis and paraplegia.
- Wrong incision during surgery — A slip of the hand may result in slicing through your nerves. This surgical error can leave you with permanent disabilities of the affected area.
Contact the Maryland Surgical Errors Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton to Learn your Legal Options if You Have Suffered Nerve Damage as a Result of Surgical Negligence
For more information about nerve damage caused by surgical error, call our experienced team of Baltimore surgical error lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A. at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact our firm online to schedule your free initial consultation. Our law firm takes cases on a contingency-fee basis and always puts your best interests first. Your satisfaction is our top priority. Let us know how we can fight for you.