Maryland Personal Injury Lawyers: Leading Causes of Spinal Cord InjuriesNovember 23, 2015
Traumatic spinal cord injuries are a form of catastrophic injury that can cause severe chronic pain, paralysis and death. An estimated 12,500 people suffer a spinal cord injury each year in the U.S. Tragically, many of these injuries are the result of another person’s negligent or reckless actions. When this is the case, victims and their families may be able to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and more by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party.
Spinal cord injuries are usually the result of a sudden, traumatic blow to the spine that fractures, dislocates, crushes or compresses one or more of the vertebrae. The damage begins at the moment of injury but can worsen in the days or weeks following because of bleeding, swelling, inflammation and fluid accumulation in and around the spinal cord. Unfortunately, there is no way to reverse damage to the spinal cord, but aggressive treatment and rehabilitation can help to minimize additional damage and may even restore some limited abilities.
Causes of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injuries
- Motor vehicle accidents – Car accidents, truck accidents and motorcycle accidents are consistently the leading cause of spinal cord injuries, accounting for approximately 38% of new spinal cord injuries each year.
- Falls – Falls are the second leading cause of spinal cord injuries. Many of these occur when someone slips or trips and falls while walking on a slippery or poorly maintained walkway. Others are the result of workplace accidents, such as construction site accidents or falls from scaffolding.
- Acts of violence – Approximately 14% of spinal cord injuries are the result of violence, including gunshot wounds, stabbings and beatings.
- Sports injuries – Athletic activities such as gymnastics, diving and impact sports such as football and hockey have the potential to result in serious injuries, especially if players are not utilizing proper safety equipment.
- Medical malpractice/surgical mistakes – Injuries involving the spine are extremely complex, delicate and risky. First responders, doctors and hospital staff should be experienced and highly trained to minimize the potential for medical mistakes that could cause or worsen damage to the spinal cord.
Baltimore Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Pursue Compensation for Injured Victims
If you or someone you love is suffering from a spinal cord injury caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, we can help. At LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, our Baltimore personal injury lawyers are dedicated to helping victims of negligence obtain the compensation they need after suffering a catastrophic injury. Call 800-547-4LAW (4529) today to schedule your free consultation and discuss your legal options with one of our seasoned Maryland personal injury lawyers or contact us online. Someone is available to take your call and address your concerns 24 hours a day.
We maintain offices in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie and Towson. We represent individuals and families throughout Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Parkville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood and Elkridge.