Baltimore Motorcycle Accident Lawyers: Get the Right Motorcycle Safety GearOctober 4, 2013
Whether riding through picturesque rural towns, across bucolic farmland, along pristine waterfront or on the streets of our vibrant cities, Maryland is one of the most beautiful places to ride a motorcycle. But Maryland’s appealing landscape comes with some dangers, too. Reckless and distracted drivers often refuse to safely share the road with motorcyclists. Potholes, uneven pavement and road debris can send your cycle crashing in a blink of an eye. Dim lighting, missing signs and broken guardrails may fail to warn and protect against sudden curves on unfamiliar roads. Wearing the right motorcycle safety gear can help protect you from a motorcycle wreck and minimize your injuries if you are involved in an accident. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) suggests:
- Helmet — Manufactured to comply with DOT standards and properly fitting with a hard outer shell, impact absorbing liner and secure chinstrap
- Face shield and eye protection — Built into the helmet or made to snap securely into the helmet and strong enough to withstand flying pebbles and road debris
- Gloves — To protect hands from cold and help maintain secure grip on the handlebars
- Footwear — Sturdy over-the-ankle boots that have nonslip soles to prevent slipping on footrests and pavement
- Jackets and pants — In reflective, abrasion-resistant material that offers full coverage of arms and legs and is padded to cushion a high-speed slide on pavement
In addition to wearing the right clothes, consider ways to increase visibility to other drivers, especially at night or in inclement weather. You can apply special tape to a jacket that is not made of reflective fabric. Functioning lights on the front and back of your bike can help drivers see you better, even on a perfectly clear afternoon. No matter how illuminated you are, remember that your smaller vehicle can easily enter a larger automobile’s blind spot and you could be at risk if the driver switches lanes or turns precisely at that moment. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, let the Baltimore motorcycle accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A. fight for you. Contact us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or online to discuss your legal rights and options and get the compensation you deserve.