Maryland Personal Injury Attorneys: Tracking The Genie: Energy SupplementsSeptember 13, 2013
News reports say the cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity complicating mitral valve regurgitation in the setting of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. The subject was a 14-year-old Maryland teen who died after consuming two Monster energy drinks in a 24-hour period. Her parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Monster Energy.
In April of last year, a man suffered fatal cardiac arrest and respiratory failure after taking Jack3d, a popular but powerful product containing the stimulant dimethylamylamine (DMAA). The parents the deceased are suing GNC, the store where the product was purchased the supplement, and USPlabs, a manufacturer of Jack3d.
Busy days sometimes lead young and old to wonder if more energy can be found in a bottle. For the two who died, the sought-for boost turned deadly.
In recent months, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has continued its efforts to educate the public and pursue companies marketing products with DMAA and high amounts of caffeine to consumers unaware of the danger to their health.
Points about DMAA include:
- The stimulant is sold in nutrition and sports supplements as a natural ingredient to help bodybuilding, enhance performance and aid in weight loss.
- Use of DMAA causes narrowing of blood vessels and arteries leading to high blood pressure that can trigger a cardiac incident.
- According to the FDA, products described as Pelargonium graveolens extract or Geranium extract may contain DMAA.
If considering an energy drink or supplement, you may get more than you asked for. If you are injured as a result, seek good legal advice from the Maryland personal injury attorneys at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A..