Auto Accident Attorney in Baltimore: Common Causes of Auto AccidentsSeptember 27, 2012
Auto accidents are an unfortunately common occurrence in Maryland. And more than 90 percent of Maryland auto accidents are the result of driver error that could have been prevented. Some common causes of accidents include the following:
- Driver distraction. Drivers whose attention strays from the road pose a serious danger to other motorists. Distraction can include texting, talking on a cell phone, adjusting the radio, or paying attention to objects or people inside or outside of the car.
- Reckless driving. Speeding and failure to use caution or obey traffic laws (including running lights or stop signs) are examples of reckless behavior that can cause serious accidents.
- Driver intoxication. Drivers who operate under the influence of alcohol or other drugs are much more likely than other motorists to cause serious and deadly accidents. Such drivers have slowed reaction times and impaired judgment, which has a negative effect on driving skills.
- Inclement weather. Adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain, snow, and ice on roadways increase the likelihood of accidents. Bad weather conditions can impair visibility and increase the risk of skidding or sliding on the road. It is crucial to use extra caution when traveling in bad weather.
- Road hazards. Construction, animals, and objects in the road can lead to accidents, especially when paired with speeding or failure to use caution.
When you suffer injury in an accident caused by a reckless or negligent driver, you deserve fair compensation for your damages. Contact an experienced auto accident attorney in Baltimore at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A. today.