Maryland Auto Accident Law Firm: What Can I Do If an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver in MD Hit Me?

Being in a car accident is traumatic enough without having to worry about insurance coverage and all the headaches that go along with it. However, insurance is what protects you financially in the event of an accident, whether it is someone else’s fault or your own.

But what if you get into an accident with someone who doesn’t have liability insurance? Statistics show that one in six drivers in Baltimore City lack liability insurance. What happens if an uninsured driver hits you?

Uninsured and underinsured coverage

All automobile insurance policies in Maryland are required to provide uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. This coverage applies when either the driver at fault doesn’t have liability insurance, or the insurance he or she has is inadequate to cover the policy limits. UM/UIM coverage is intended to ensure that you are still covered for accidents where you are not at fault, even if the other driver doesn’t have the required insurance. UM and UIM coverage is also available to family members who reside in the policyholder’s household.

Making a UM/UIM claim is a complex process. If you’ve been in an auto accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact a Maryland automobile accident attorney at our Maryland auto accident law firm of LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton, P.A. today.